Free Layered Heart Mandala: 3D Paper Craft
Today we’re going to create a layered heart mandala with a Cricut Maker. These hearts are really cute when placed in a shadow box, strung in a banner, or used as home decor for Valentine’s Day.
This papercraft includes two free layered heart mandala files and the SVG file will work with most types of cutting machines.
The first design is a floral heart mandala. The floral heart mandala has five layers and the foam spacers give it a 3D appearance. The second design is a layered heart with the word love. Both designs are available in the craft library.
Craft Supplies For The Layered Heart Mandala
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you. See my full disclosure statement here.
- Cricut Maker
- Light Grip Mat (Cricut)
- Foam Glue Dots
- 65 lb. Red Card Stock (12 X 12 Available at Michael’s)
- Weeding Tools
- Scraper Tool
- Scissors (To cut the glue dots)
Video Tutorial: Layered Heart Mandala
Learn how to create a layered heart mandala with your Cricut Maker. This video walks you through opening the free SVG files in Cricut Design Space. Then preparing them to cut, along with lining up the mandala layers. Video link on YouTube.
How To Download the Layered Mandala SVG Files
Both of these designs are available in the free resource library. To gain access to the library (of over 70 digital files) and receive my latest craft projects via email, just subscribe on the top right sidebar or at the bottom of this post.
You can subscribe by entering your first name and email address in the subscribe box. All of the files in the free library are available for personal use only. They are not available for commercial use.
Once you subscribe, you’ll receive an email confirmation. Just confirm your subscription and you will be sent a (Welcome Email) with the password and instructions for using the free library. Then, click on the Library tab on the top menu bar and enter the password in the empty box at the bottom of the library page.
Once you are in the library, please watch the video to learn how to download the files to your computer. The files are available in the following file formats: SVG, DXF, EPS, PNG, and PDF.
Tips For Cutting Intricate Designs
The top layer of these designs is intricate, so the size of your design does matter. For best results, don’t scale the SVG designs smaller than 6 inches. Follow these tips to get clean cuts on your Cricut machine.
- When cutting the intricate portion of the mandala designs, use 65 lb., smooth, high-quality cardstock.
- Use a conditioned light-grip cutting mat. Conditioning a new mat reduces the stickiness. You can do this by pressing the mat to a pillowcase or other low-lint fabric repeatedly. For mats already conditioned, ensure they are clean, free of debris, and still sticky enough to hold your project in place. If you are concerned that your mat is not sticky enough, secure your cardstock in place with washi tape.
- It’s also important to use a new, sharp cutting blade when cutting intricate designs. If your blade is dull, it will tear the designs instead of cutting them.
Follow Along On Pinterest
Do you enjoy Cricut and Silhouette crafts? Follow me on PINTEREST. Did you know that you can hover over any of the images below and save them for later? Just click on the red Pinterest button and save it to your Valentine’s Day Crafts or Cricut Crafts board. It’s helpful to Pin It now and save it for later when you’re ready to start your project.
I hope you enjoy making these layered heart mandalas. How did you display them? Did you use a shadow box or create a centerpiece as I did in the video?
Happy Valentine’s Day!